M.A. and Ph.D. in Philosophy, University of Miami
B.S. in Biology and B.A. in Philosophy, Emory University
Jason Borenstein, Ph.D., is the director of Graduate Research Ethics Programs and co-director of the Center for Ethics and Technology. He is also an assistant editor of Science and Engineering Ethics and co-editor of the Stanford Encyclopedia of Philosophy's Ethics and Information Technology section.
His research interests include bioethics, engineering ethics, robotic ethics, and research ethics. Dr. Borenstein's work has appeared in various journals including AI & Society, Communications of the ACM, the Journal of Academic Ethics, Ethics and Information Technology, IEEE Technology & Society, Accountability in Research, and the Columbia Science and Technology Law Review.
- Pearson, Yvette and Jason Borenstein. “Creating 'Companions' for Children: The Ethics of Designing Esthetic Features for Robots.” AI & Society, published online August 20, 2012.
- Borenstein, Jason. "Robotics, Ethics, and the Environment." International Journal of Technoethics, 3(2), April-June 2012, pages 17-29.
- Berry, Roberta M., Jason Borenstein, and Robert J. Butera. "Contentious Problems in Bioscience and Biotechnology: A Pilot Study of an Approach to Ethics Education." Science and Engineering Ethics, published online March 3, 2012.
- Borenstein, Jason and Yvette Pearson. "Robot Caregivers: Ethical Issues Across the Human Lifespan." In Robot Ethics: The Ethical and Social Implications of Robotics, edited by Patrick Lin, Keith Abney, and George Bekey, Cambridge, Massachusetts: MIT Press, 2011.
- Pearson, Yvette and Jason Borenstein. "The Intervention of Robot Caregivers and the Cultivation of Children's Capability to Play." Science and Engineering Ethics, published online September 15, 2011.
- Marchant, Gary E., Braden Allenby, Ronald Arkin, Edward T. Barrett, Jason Borenstein, Lyn M. Gaudet, Orde Kittrie, Patrick Lin, George R. Lucas, Richard O'Meara, and Jared Silberman, "International Governance of Autonomous Military Robots." Columbia Science and Technology Law Review, vol. 12, 2011, pages 272-315.
- Borenstein, Jason. "Responsible Authorship in Engineering Fields: An Overview of Current Ethical Challenges." Science and Engineering Ethics, Vol. 17, No. 2, 2011, pages 355-364.
- Borenstein, Jason and Kenneth W. Goodman. "Ethical Issues in Geriatric Psychiatry." In Principles and Practice of Geriatric Psychiatry (2nd edition), edited by Marc Agronin and Gabe Maletta, Philadelphia: Lippincott, Williams & Wilkins, 2011, pages 279-288.
- Borenstein, Jason. "Robots and the Changing Workforce." AI & Society, Vol. 26, No. 1, 2011, pages 87-93.
- Borenstein, Jason and Yvette Pearson. "Robot Caregivers: Harbingers of Expanded Freedom for All?" Ethics and Information Technology, Vol. 12, No. 3, 2010, pages 277-288.
- Borenstein, Jason. "The Wisdom of Caution: Genetic Enhancement and Future Children." Science and Engineering Ethics, Vol. 15, No. 4, 2009, pages 517-530.
- Pearson, Yvette and Jason Borenstein. "Taking Conflicts of Interest Seriously Without Overdoing It: The Promises and Perils of Academic-Industry Partnerships." Journal of Academic Ethics, Vol. 6, Issue 3, 2009, pages 229-243.
- Borenstein, Jason. "Privacy: A Non-Existent Entity." IEEE Technology & Society, Winter 2008, pages 20-26.